At the regular meeting of Council last night, Petrolia Council approved the operating budget for the municipality with a 1.5% increase to the municipal tax rate. Water and sewer rates will see a 3% increase respectively for 2024.
Highlighted Projects for Petrolia in 2024:
- Tank Street Reconstruction from north end of Petrolia YMCA to Discovery Line, a project that includes a parking lot for the YMCA sports fields.
- Replacement boiler at Greenwood Recreation Centre
- North Street Cemetery work
- Petrolia & Area Kiwanis Club Splash Pad Installation at the Petrolia YMCA
- Community Recreation Project – washrooms, change rooms, fencing, paving, and seeding.
- Two replacement boilers and gymnasium HVAC unit at the Petrolia YMCA
- Water Intake Project (continued) at Brights Grove Water Treatment Plant
- Sports Bleacher Replacement
- Victoria Hall HVAC Air Handlers
Mayor R. Brad Loosley said, “I am very pleased with this budget. At a time when inflation and high prices exist everywhere, I am glad to see more than $7 million in capital projects proceeding in Petrolia in 2024. Thank you to Rick Charlebois and the staff for their work preparing this budget.”
Deputy Mayor Joel Field added, “Rick and his team have done an excellent job preparing this budget, and I find it to be a very solid plan for the year, and for the future of Petrolia.”