Town of Petrolia Declares State of Emergency
Posted: March 19, 2020
TOWN OF PETROLIA DECLARES STATE OF EMERGENCY
At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 19, 2020, the Mayor of the Town of Petrolia declared a State of Emergency in accordance with the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
A State of Emergency was declared for the following reasons:
- To raise public awareness regarding the gravity of the current pandemic situation,
- To protect volunteers that are called to assist*,
- To preserve the rights of the Town for future compensation should it become available**; and
- To ensure the organization can quickly respond to other unforeseen events should they arise.
*Under a declared emergency, duly registered volunteers are covered by the Workers Safety Insurance Board (WSIB). This includes current volunteers, and any volunteers that we may request assistance from.
**This declaration places our Municipality in a more favourable position for funding should the Federal or Provincial governments provide opportunities after the emergency resolution. This declaration may also prove beneficial to residents under the Disaster Recovery Assistance for Ontarians Program or from their insurance company.
“By declaring a state of emergency, our Municipal Emergency Control Group is ensuring that we can take action to protect our most vulnerable people. We hold the very best interests of our community as a top priority and have taken this measure to ensure continued support is available from our Municipality.” Said Mayor, R. Brad Loosley, who added, “At this time, I ask residents to continue to stay home if you are able, be kind, and follow the guidelines and restrictions in place meant to help us in our global fight against Covid-19.”
Further information will be provided as it becomes available. For the most up to date information regarding COVID-19, please visit the Lambton Public Health website and the Province of Ontario website. Facility closures are listed on the Town of Petrolia website (www.town.petrolia.on.ca).
Notice & Advisory
- Resident Survey Available Regarding 2022 Petrolia Municipal Election
- PETROLIA HERITAGE ADVISORY COMMITTEE LAUNCHES LIMITED-EDITION CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT SERIES
- 2020 GREEN LEADER GRANT PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
- PETROLIA 150 COMMITTEE LAUNCHES LIMITED-EDITION COMMEMORATIVE COIN SET
- MC DONALD’S AND SHELL GAS BAR AND CAR WASH CONSTRUCTION HAS STARTED